PRESS RELEASE: 10 SEP Champions to receive award
In celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the Strategic Environmental Plan (SEP) for Palawan Act, 10 awardees is recognized as SEP Champions in a Gala Night last Monday, June 19.
The award will be given to local government units and organization embodying the SEP principles in their programs and projects. They are as follows:
- Malampaya Deep Water Gas to Power and Pilipinas Shell Foundation, Inc.
For ensuring positive socioeconomic contribution through development programs for various communities.
- Local Government Unit of El Nido with El Nido Resorts
For making Palawan labeled as a tourism haven.
- Local Government Unit of Cagayancillo and Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park
For getting the park declared as a protected area, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, a Ramsar Wetlands of International Importance and an ASEAN Heritage.
- Local Government Unit of Balabac and Jewelmer International Corporation
For promoting marine eco-region to save marine ecosystems.
- City Government of Puerto Princesa and Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park
For being the first national park developed to LGU.
- Local Government Unit of Narra and Katala Foundation, Inc.
For cultivating a partnership with NGO for the management of a wildlife sanctuary.
- Local Government Unit of San Vicente and for Eco-Town Planning
For being the role model for LGU’s in the demonstration of Eco-Town framework as a tool for green growth.
- Local Government Unit of Bataraza with Rio Tuba Nickel Mining Corporation and Coral Bay Nickel Corporation
For striking positive development in Bataraza through a partnership between LGU and the private sector.
- Palawan Council for Sustainable Development for ECAN implementation
For providing policy governance for the SEP through the ECAN framework.
- Provincial Government of Palawan for IHELP Program
For implementing the IHELP Program compatible to Palawan as a Biosphere Reserve.
The awards night was held in Princesa Garden Island Resort and Spa, with Development of Environment and Natural Resources Under Secretary Mario B. Mendoza as the keynote speaker.
Attendees of the event are the PCSD members and staff, PCSD Scientific Advisory Panel members, municipal mayors, provincial and city government top officials, high-ranking officials of the different Government agencies and the three universities, among others.
Republic Act 7611 or SEP for Palawan Act is a landmark legislation signed by former President Corazon C. Aquino on June 19, 1992. This unique law aims to provide a comprehensive framework for the sustainable development of Palawan compatible with protecting and enhancing the natural resources and endangered environment of the province.
Atty. David Ponce De Leon with then-House Speaker Ramon V. Mitra co-authorized this special intended only for Palawan.
The SEP guides the local government of Palawan and the government agencies concerned in the formulation and implementation of plans, programs and projects affecting the province.
As its general philosphy, this framework aims for the improvement in the quality of life of its people in the present and future generations through the use of complementary activities of development and conservation that protect life-support ecosystem and rehabilitate exploited areas to allow upcoming generations to sustain development growth.